Find me now at: Chic907.blogspot.com
A lot has changed since I established anaenae.blogspot.com almost three years ago. My zip code, my e-mail, even my last name. I decided I needed an easier to explain URL, and one that matches my new blog title.
Here's where the new name came from: Chic as in fashionable, smart, not the crass way to say lady. 907 as in the area code of all of Alaska, a place that defines many of my adventures and musings.
I have imported the content from this blog, so everything is now there and new posts not seen here. Please bookmark it and leave me a comment soon. Let me know you've updated or added my new link and I'll add you to my blogroll there!
Monday, December 27, 2010
I've been bursting to show off some of my DIY Christmas gifts, but had to wait until after the big day so I wouldn't spoil any surprises. I did quite a few homemade, or custom created gifts this year. This one is a collaboration with my friend, Kim.
She wanted to give her 5-year-old twins a Barbie dream-house for Christmas, but didn't want to break the bank on something that might break easily. With four kids, she knows delicate a plastic dollhouse wouldn't last long. So we embarked on a shopping adventure to find the right tools to build our own, sturdier version.
The whole thing was pink, so we lined the shelves with wood-grain contact paper to give the house wood floors before assembling the shelf.
For area rugs we cut circles and rectangles out of a bathroom rug from the Fred Meyer home section.
Saturday, December 25, 2010
Santa was very good to us this year and I feel blessed to be spending my third holiday season with my little family. Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Monday, December 20, 2010
1. The entire cast sings a final number. 2. Joshua sets up the video camera, preshow. 3. Davin takes his place for the first scene.
Sunday, December 19, 2010
1. With the leftover potpourri, I filled these martini glasses on my wine rack. It was the only other place I could think of displaying the stuff where my kitties wouldn't get into it ... which could be very bad for them. I also really wanted a poinsettia this year, but skipped it for the same reason.
2. I love this centerpiece because I can change it's look every season. This year, the potpourri with the gold candle to top it off.
This year I did a couple simple sewing projects.
3. New Christmas stockings for the boys so we would have a suedo-matching set. My mom made mine (center) and has lasted the years. I used red felt, green fleece and the silly reindeer trim for Joshua and Davin's stockings. I should have known that fleece is impossible to embroider names on, but wasn't thinking about that when I purchased it. Still searching for a way to add names.
4. A new Christmas tree skirt. I've never had one and have always improvised with a holiday tablecloth. This year I bought two yards of red felt and the snowball trim to finish the zig-zag edge. It cost less than $20 and was finished in one evening.
6. One of my favorite ornaments made by my mother has gotten several compliments from visitors this year. I was so inspired by the beaded ornaments that I was thrilled to find a beaded wreath kit at the craft store this year.
7. I knocked out about 12 of these beaded wreath ornaments with my feet kicked up watching Dexter one evening. They are shockingly similar to the ones my mom made for our tree when I was too young to remember.
I hope you're having a fun and creative holiday season regardless of how you decorate and celebrate.
It's very simple at the moment, but a start for displaying my design work and portrait photography and hopefully drum up some additional freelance work. I did a couple family photo shoots this month and a newborn photo session. Also, I designed Christmas cards for the families, save the dates for engaged friends and have two more photo shoots in the coming weeks. This new project has been a whirlwind of fun and I'm excited to see where it goes.
I will still be blogging here about my Alaskan adventures, family fun and personal projects.As Kern This has been my blog, twitter name and phrase for many creative things over the years, it seemed like the natural choice for my portfolio and brand. To avoid confusion I'm going to need a new name for my personal blog.
For the non-design geeks out there. Kern This is a play on words involving design. To kern is to adjust the space between letters in typography.
Thanks for reading and please take a moment to stop by my portfolio when you have a moment. I'll be updating frequently. But don't stop checking in here. Thanks to my friends and family for all the support.